Rabbit Farming is nowadays popular farming. Rabbit meat is soft, tasty and easily digested. Their skin is used in the manufacture of various objects. It produces soft and light wool. The rabbit’s own feces and urine are used as manure since they constitute a special fertilizer, very rich in phosphates and nitrates.
Even the viscera produces flour that is used to feed other animals. Newborn rabbits (neonates) are used in the manufacture of foot-and-mouth disease vaccines, as well as adult animals used as test animals and laboratory research.
The breeding of rabbits has been recommended by international organizations, is a type of animal that has great advantages:
- As direct food, being the rabbits of a size suitable for a family meal and as a way to improve the family economy, being able to sell more easily than larger animals. They do not need conservation systems. Someone called rabbits a “biological cooler” (comparable only to chickens, curries or guinea pigs, and tilapia fish).
- They have the advantage of occupying little, and in underused spaces, and even the rabbits can be installed outdoors, under simple roofs, reason, why its create, requires minimum investments, only initially the cages and the first reproducers.
- Domestic rabbits (European or Iberian, scientifically called Oryctolagus cuniculus) are interesting and grateful animals, both for those who have four rabbits and for those who have several hundred, and give very high yields to those who treat them well and love them.
- They are animals that do not disturb with noises or bad smells, can take care of them young boys or girls, which initiates them towards a greater responsibility, or can do it elderly people, or with handicaps, that helps them and makes them feel useful, Or you can take care of them at leisure time, as it is even fun.
A single rabbit has a production similar to that obtained with Three sheep or goats, with one lamb or goat per year, each of 10 Kg channels.
- They are very easy to multiply, since with a small initial nucleus, in a region or region of 12 – 14 rabbits, and a pair of males, selecting the best daughters, can be more than THREE THOUSAND BREEDERS, to the Three years of having started.
- Each rabbit can produce 50 or 60 rabbits a year, on average, which is the production target in the best industrial operations, but in minifundia and with minimum standards of management we can expect from 25 to 30, that sacrificed to two kg of Live weight, or 1,100 kg in clean channel (with head) are about 30 kg of meat per year and year. The 3,000 rabbits easily produce 100,000 kg of clean meat a year, and easy to distribute and conserve.
- For the consumer, the meat has no health problems. On the contrary, it is the one with the highest protein content, compared to other meats. So it is interesting in places where it is convenient to increase the consumption of animal protein. For every thousand Kcalories, the rabbit channel has three times more protein than if it is a channel of fattened ruminants.
- They feed on products and by-products of the country, with little or no consumption of caloric cereals, or legumes, such as cereal grain, or soybean cake, foods that would be preferable to be consumed directly by people.
There are more reasons for “enthusiasm” towards the production of rabbit meat, which the reader will unveil with the reading of this publication. You Can Also Read Rabbit Housing Here.
Management of Rabbit Farming
There are some points of management or care of the rabbit. They are very simple if we do not get or decide to do them correctly. The expected results can not be achieved. The originality of the physiology and etiology of rabbits requires that we have to take care of some minimum extremes of comfort, to avoid, as far as possible, the risk of diseases and low yields for long periods.
Failure to follow them would make their multiplication unviable. Hence it is essential, more than in other animals, to follow concrete and proven management patterns of years and years, to be able to be profitable to this prolific animal indefinitely.
The poorly recommended systems of raising rabbits in the yard, with leaves or leftover food, still seem an easy saving, can never be profitable, and because of the many casualties, interest is lost and a critical reaction to this type of Exploitation, and even against the consumption of rabbit meat.
Way to get started in Rabbit Breeding
The rural peasantry or urban suburbs can be safely started and in their own interest in rabbit farming. First, based on small operations of smallholding or homemade, so we call them “family packages”. Rather than planning, without previous practice and with difficult to repay loans, rabbits with greater volume. The size can already be reached, gradually, in the near future. (Here lies the advantage of such high ease of rotation of staff).
Family Packages of Rabbit Farming
The smallest “family pack” is four rabbits, which requires eight “holes” (or cage spaces). Four holes for each of the four rabbits. One hole for the male, and the other three for rabbits Of fattening and recreate. Another package, more advisable to start, is one of 12 rabbits. That need 20 cages, the twelve for the rabbits, one for the male, and seven for the fattening and recreate.
This pack of 12 rabbits with 20 cages occupies less than 7m of a floor. It can be attached to a wall occupying. For example, 80 cm background by 8m long, and only one meter high. These twelve rabbits will produce as much meat a year as a herd of 30 sheep or goats.
Following the basic recommendations, benefits can be gained over the years. But something must be invested, especially in cages, as they are absolutely necessary. Raising rabbits on the ground, and we must repeat it. Consuming roots and green leaves and by-products without control is not recommended at any level. The same can be said of cages made of pieces of old wood and chicken coats.
Number of Rabbits to be Produced
Once you are interested in starting, or expanding, or simply improving, a small rabbit breeding operation. We must decide how many rabbits we are going to need weekly for consumption and which we will put on sale, and how we will do it. Once this amount has been decided, multiplying by 52, we will know the annual forecast.
It is a mistake to foresee the production first and seek the distribution or the consumers afterward. Rabbits produce many bunnies, but the number of viable rabbits depends on the four pillars of all livestock. Quality animals, good management, complete feeding, and strict sanitation. Therefore, production can range from 10 to 60 per year for each adult female, according to these four bases.
If you’re considering getting in on the rabbit farming game, consider our tips for reducing your sector’s impact on antimicrobial resistance. Already well-known as a valuable source of meat, rabbit farming is forecast to continue its growth in response to the growing food needs of an expanding population. With that said, it can be challenging to ensure that any new farmers are aware of how they should handle their rabbits when it comes to preventing widespread antibiotic use. To help with this challenge, we hope this guide has helped answer some questions and given you good ideas about what steps you need to take if you want to get into this business! Good luck out there!
As A Reference: Rabbit Farming